Friday, April 1, 2011

Naked Clay

In college, while most of my classmates focused on formulating dramatic glazes, I focused on the clay itself. The natural colors of the clay and the graininess were its own beauty. Adding glazes over the clay just seemed to disrupt that beauty, for me.

With my interest in prehistoric art at the time, I found the perfect medium-ceramics, where I could
explore and experiment. The reduction  process in the kiln (oxygen deprived during the firing)-- allowed for levels of depth as the minerals in the clay, rich in iron- pulled to the surface for those extra "touches" of contrast color for added perspective.

When I approached galleries and boutiques, they were all reluctant to take on my "naked clay works" as it was, and still is known as.  But the ones who ventured-- were all delightfully surprised by their sales--since "Flashy-Bling, and Bright-Loud", was the "In Thing" at the time.

The Naked Clay Collection is a simple, yet powerful series-- and continues to touch : the mind, heart, and soul, over a decade later of its inception.

The Zen Box and flat orb have SOLD.

To view more pieces in the series, please check out my Etsy Store:  vyktoryas.etsy.com

2 comments:

  1. Nice write-up, good description of intent. Good photos illustrate nicely. Good job.

    ReplyDelete